Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twitter, IMDB and more

Recently, I came across a lot of articles online that mentioned Twitter. I wanted to find out what that is and so I joined Twitter. I expected to find something like StumbleUpon or Digg, but I was surprised when I found out that it is a website to update your status. Can you believe it? Just to update your status. It's something that you can do on your messenger, orkut or Facebook. So, I don't know what the hype is about.I'll find it out more about this service in the next couple of days.

On Twitter, you can follow someone (similar to adding friends on orkut or facebook) and subscribe to their status updates. Add me to your twitter and follow my updates. What do you call the act of updating your status? Twittering? Tweeting? God knows!! When I asked one of my friends about Twitter's purpose, she said that it is like a micro-blog. Now I have lot of places to express myself - status updates on messengers (I don't do that usually), status updates on orkut (No), Facebook (I do this a lot), blogging and now micro-blogging. I wanted to bring everything together. As the first step, I have added my Twitter feeds to my blog (second gadget on the left). This gadget kind of ties my micro-blogging with my actual blog.

I watch lots and lots of movies. When I was a grad student, I used to watch everything online. Now, I'm paying for each and every movie/T.V series that I watch and I'm proud of that. "Say NO to piracy!" :D When I watch a movie, I usually write a review on Flixster's Facebook app and rate it on IMDB. Now, I have added a feed from my IMDB page (first gadget on the left) to this blog so that it gets updated automatically when I rate a movie on IMDB. Unfortunately, the feed does not display my rating. I'm trying to find some way to display my ratings along with the movie names. When I looked at the source code of these gadgets I found that they are not too complicated. I might try to tweak an existing gadget or write a new gadget to do this. I still have to check if IMDB allows exporting the rating along with the movie name.

I have spent more than 3 hours exploring twitter, IMDB feeds and blogger gadgets. It's well past midnight now. Off to bed... zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ

2 comments:

Listen2Gopi said...

I wonder the same about twitter :)
Watching too many movies by pay online???
cut down a couple of movie and sponsor a kid's lunch for a year : http://www.akshayapatra.org

By the way how was the movie slumdog millionaire..??

MsRulz said...

I subscribe to Netflix... 20$ per month.. does not depend on the number of movies I watch... Yes, I will definitely consider sponsoring kids in India...

I've written a blog about Slumdog Millionaire - http://madhansivakumar.blogspot.com/2008/12/slumdog-millionaire.html